Pages

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Review: Tony Duncan - Earth Warrior

“The instrument of the flute was passed on to me by my father when I was ten years old,” Duncan says. “I would watch him play with my eyes closed, as the music floated in the air and settled in my heart. He told me, ‘All of life dances in a circle, respect the sacred circle and every part of it.’.”

Tony Duncan
Earth Warrior

Canyon Records

I feel Tony Duncan's call to the ancients, in this timeless Native American recording.  Earth Warrior, released by the legendary Canyon Records, is a delightful path to tranquility.  Spirit is present, laced within each song ... interweaving between each note. 

Tony Duncan of the Apache, Arikara, Mandan and Hidatsa nations, holds a  background in both southwestern and northern plain cultures.  He expresses his devotion to his family and Native American traditions with his music.

Played by a true master of the craft, the distinctive sound of Native American flute is graceful, mystical and hypnotizing.  Duncan plays it with such grace, such invocation ...

At times rattles, drums, guitar and amazing vocals accompany Duncan's soulful and powerful flute.  He is joined on several tracks by other artists: Estun-Bah’s guitarist, Darrin Yazzie, along with vocalists Toby Jose and Ryan Polequeptewa and the storytelling talents of Duncan’s father, Ken Duncan, Sr.

Bringing out the natural mystic within, Earth Warrior is an authentic and heart-felt album of Native American songs.  I love listening to this album, and company comments on it every time.  There is a magical quality about playing it, as it raises the frequency of a room almost immediately.

For more information, please visit Canyon Records.

No comments:

Post a Comment