Pages

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Review: Fawn Wood - Iskwewak - Songs of Indigenous Womanhood (CR-6494) Fawn Wood - Iskwewak - Songs of Indigenous Womanhood

Fawn Wood’s debut recording Iskwewak (meaning women in Cree) reflects a blend of Wood's Cree and Salish tribal lineages.

Iskwewak is soulful ... a celebration of woman, especially indigenous woman.  An album that captures the ups and downs of the journey of womanhood ... an invocation of the goddess.

Some songs have a modern lyrical twist ... in English, that can easily be understood by the listener.

A unique Native American album that really got my juices flowing and enlivened my spirit ... I felt like a guest at a woman's POW WOW ... and we all were enjoying each others' company and swopping stories.

This album will resonate with many woman and many of the songs I love, although the lyrical content in some of the songs is quite sad.  Fawn Wood is extremely talented and I love listening to her, however I do hope that the next album has more love songs.  More songs like track 12, Pledging My Love & the lullaby track 6, Mommy's Little Guy.  These are my favorite songs on Iskwewak.

Wood is a strong woman, who embraces the nature of woman ... sharing her gifts of song with everyone.  Thank you Fawn, for this lovely album.  Your voice and music are beautiful!

For more information, please visit Canyon Records!

No comments:

Post a Comment