Pages

Monday, April 29, 2013

Review: Playing Card Oracles Book & Deck Set

I love playing card divination, so I was naturally drawn toward this oracle, inspired by the playing cards.  It came through the mail, so I never really got a chance to see it in person until it arrived on my doorstep.  As soon as I took it out of the box I felt a very strange connection ... something familiar about this deck and book ... the image ... dejavu, perhaps ... it was an odd familiar, strange old feeling that came over me.  The feeling I used to have when I began to study twenty years ago.  It was as though I had seen this deck and book before, as though we had already met somehow, somewhere ... and maybe we have ... maybe we somehow have met before.

Sharing a life-long fascination for prophecy and the divinatory arts, both have felt strongly guided in their work together, a rare father-daughter team, Ana Cortez and C. J. Freeman (author and illustrator) combine their talents with this original and one-of-a-kind Playing Card Oracles deck and book set. 

Each card is illustrated, many tarot trumps are presented within the playing cards and the tens of each suit become a female court card ... bringing harmony to the male/ female equation.  A student of the tarot and playing cards ... as there is interconnection here throughout history, I found this deck and the book to be completely fascinating.  Many of the cards correlate with my own understandings of the cards, although all but one of the elemental correspondences differ from my own teachings. 
For example, hearts are hearts no matter which source you go to ... cups, hearts, emotions ... you will find little disagreement here.  However, clubs, spades and diamonds have different elements they represent with different systems.  The most interesting thing about this important detail, concerning this deck is that many of the card meaning still fit in with traditional description and definition, although they are ruled by a different element.  Also, important to note that many of the ideas presented are new, the creation of the artist and author.  This is not a traditional deck, although it has certainly been inspired by tradition, history, myth and intuition.  I love the information about astrological numerological correspondences.  There is great symbolism presented and lots of wisdom ... alchemy, numerology, astrology, geomancy and much for.


For more information, or to order please visit U.S. Games.









No comments:

Post a Comment