Pages

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Reviews: Jo MacDonald Had a Garden & Jo MacDonald Saw a Pond

Jo MacDonald Saw a Pond
Author: Mary Quattlebaum
Illustrator: Laura J. Bryant


Jo MacDonald Saw a Pond is a sing-along for ages 3 - 8, inspired by the sights and sounds of a pond. The text, art, design, and layout of this new version of the classic and familiar childhood song is lovely and lots of fun to sing along with little ones.  The winner of numerous awards, Jo MacDonald Saw a Pond is an instant hit.  The illustrations are uplifting and beautiful. Bryant s softly colored watercolor creatures echo Jo s rosy-cheeked childhood innocence and have just a touch of expression in their faces.

When Jo visits her grandfather's farm, she observes the plants and animals she finds by the pond, sketching them so she can share them with Old MacDonald later. She first notices the reeds, and the sound they make: 

"Jo MacDonald saw a pond, / E-I-E-I-O. / And in that pond she saw some reeds, / E-I-E-I-O. / With a swish-swish here."


I love how the engaging and catchy this song is.  The young ones catch on quickly, singing the familiar tune to the grandparents who can certainly sing along with them.  Highly recommended - E-I-E-I-O!

There are also additional downloadable activities for this and all other Dawn Publication books at their website.  For more information, please visit Dawn Publications.



Jo MacDonald Had a Garden
Author: Mary Quattlebaum
Illustrator: Laura J. Bryant


In the second book of the Jo MacDonald series, Jo MacDonald Had a Garden is a sing along with young Jo MacDonald as she grows healthy food for people and wild creatures. 

"And in that garden flew a bird, E-I-E-I-O. With a flit-flit here and a flit-flit there, here a flit, there a flit, everywhere a flit-flit. Jo MacDonald had a garden, E-I-E-I-O."  

I love how the book brings the reader full circle in the garden cycle.  The perfect book to inspire young gardeners and naturalist into action.  Youngsters learn about garden ecosystems and stewardship. Highly recommended - E-I-E-I-O! 

There are also additional downloadable activities for this and all other Dawn Publication books at their website.  For more information, please visit Dawn Publications.

2 comments:

  1. That is really attention-grabbing, You are an overly professional blogger.
    I've joined your rss feed and look ahead to seeking more of your great post. Also, I have shared your site in my social networks

    my blog: propertywide.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect ! I love all your reviews! Great blogger!
    Thanks!

    Annebelle

    ReplyDelete