Pages

Friday, March 8, 2013

Mountain Rose Herbs - Incense Making Kit Review

Ever since I was a young girl I have enjoyed the intoxicating quality of good incense.  Since my younger incense burning days  I have secretly planned to create my own someday.  Recently I was inspired by a local gypsy, whose blend not only sent prayers to heaven but was also said to induce hallucinations ... The intoxicating aroma left me spellbound, hungry for more and in need of a way to create such a bridge to divinity myself.

I must admit that I have been intimidated by incense making for quite some time.  Many of the secrets of this sacred art are closely guarded and I have not really had the time, nor the space to get involved in such a costly endevor.  When I came across this kit from Mountain Rose Herbs I was both excited and uncertain.  I expected the procedure of making incense to be difficult and having everything together in a kit was like having a good teacher by your side.

I did a little research on incense while I awaited it to arrive in the mail.   People have burned incense for thousands of years to protect themselves, to send prayers to heaven, as an offering to the gods or the one supreme divine source, for use in ceremonies or simply to enjoy.  Some of the oldest known references of incense appear within the Vedas.

For many of the early years before Christ, Frankincense was actually worth more than silver and gold’s value. The use of Frankincense can be traced all the way back to the Ancient Egyptians, Persians, and Assyrians. This popular fragrance and its uses were learned by the Romans.

The forms taken by incense differ with the underlying culture, and have changed with advances in technology and increasing diversity in the reasons for burning it.  Incense is composed of aromatic plant materials, often combined with essential oils.  


Incense can generally be separated into two main types: indirect-burning and direct-burning. Indirect-burning incense (non-combustible incense) is not capable of burning on its own and requires a separate heat source. Direct-burning incense (combustible incense) is lit directly by a flame and then blown out or fanned, leaving a glowing ember that smoulders and releases fragranceDirect-burning incense is either a paste formed around a stick (often a bamboo stick) or a paste that is extruded into a stick or cone shape.

By the time my kit arrived, within about 4 days or so, I was inspired to devote an entire room to this ancient art.  This is what it included ... 
  • 1 mortar & pestle
  • 1 set instructions and recipes
  • 32 page book Making Your Own Incense
  • 10 grams each of the following herbs in ready to blend powdered form
  1. Cassia powder
  2. Anise Star powder
  3. Patchouli powder
  4. Frankincense powder
  5. Benzoin Gum
  6. Lemongrass powder
  7. Makko powder
  8. Myrrh powder
  9. Sandalwood powder 
All you need is water and not much of it.  Wow this kit is awesome.  It is so easy.  You simply blend the ingredients and add a little water.  Then you blend it up really well until it has a dough like consistency, in which you form into a cone shape and let dry for about 30 hours.  That is it!  If you desire you can make sticks and smudge blocks too with the kit.  I recommend this kit to anyone who wants the guidance of a great teacher to teach them incense making.  This kit taught me more in one hour, than a life time of incense making interest.  A great introduction to the fine art of incense making.  

Price:  $37.00

For more information, please visit Mountain Rose Herbs!





2 comments:

  1. REALLY COOL!
    Great for a gift! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the products!
    There stuff is great!
    Thank you for the review!

    ReplyDelete