Pages

Friday, December 7, 2012

Product Review: Lavera - Intense Volumizing Mascara (Black)

If you are looking for a safe mascara that does not contain mercury or any other toxic chemical you might want to take a look at this review.

I had the pleasure to test an award-winning natural, organic mascara made by Lavera. Lavera, need I say more? Right? For those who know this name know what it represents. This is a very well-loved and respected company in the natural make-up and cosmetic world. Lavera literally means "the truth". All Lavera products come with a full INCI (International Nomenclature of Cosmetic Ingredients) ingredient listing as required by European law. No secret ingredients here just the honest truth. After using this product for over a month I found it to be a new resident in my make-up bag.

Pros
  • Pleasant smell
  • Doesn't clump
  • No need to use a lash comb to separate
  • Conditions
  • Looks natural
  • Designed for sensitive eyes and skin
  • Smooth application
  • Washes off easily
  • Dries quickly
  • Heavy-metal-free
  • Perfect if you wear contacts because it is safe for sensitive eyes
  • Made with pure, organic plant oils, herb and flower extracts
  • Free from parabens, SLS and synthetic preservatives
  • Free from fragrances, emulsifiers and petroleum based ingredients
  • Cruelty Free
  • Gluten Free
  • GMO Free
  • Ecologically conscious packaging
Cons
  • Not waterproof and comes off with water/tears
  • Although it is reasonable priced at $24.50 it might be a bit too pricey for some
  • Smudges under eyes if not applied properly or toward the end of a busy day
  • If you are looking for a dramatic lash look this mascara will not work
Description

From the Lavera Website, "This super-intense formula creates longer, thicker, shinier lashes with serious impact thanks to a new extra-volume brush and an innovative quick-dry formula that prevents lashes from sticking. Natural ingredients such as organic beeswax and refined mineral pigments make for long-lasting hold."
  • Made by Lavera
  • Shades - Only available in black
  • Available at local retailers and online
  • Product ID: 21079
  • EAN: 4021457210794
  • Suggested Price: $24.50
  • Weight: 0.44 oz
Ingredients Listing

* indicates ingredients from Certified Organic agriculture
  • Water (Aqua)
  • Alcohol*
  • Stearic Acid
  • Beeswax (Cera Alba)*
  • Hydrolyzed Jojoba Esters
  • Algin
  • Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil (Argan Oil)*
  • Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract*
  • Silk (Serica)
  • Shellac
  • Jojoba Esters
  • Hippophae Rhamnoides Fruit Extract (Sea buckthorn)*
  • Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*
  • Tocopherol (Vitamin E)
  • Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter*
  • Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil*
  • Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil
  • Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil*
  • Camelina Sativa Seed Oil
  • Vegetable Oil
  • Hydrogenated Lecithin
  • Tilia Cordata Flower Extract*
  • Rosa Centifolia Flower Extract*
  • Malva Sylvestris (Mallow) Flower Extract*
  • Ascorbyl Palmitate (Vitamin C)
  • +/- Iron Oxides (CI 77499)
  • +/- Ultramarines (CI 77007)
  • Fragrance (Essential Oils)
+/- indicates product may contain this ingredient

My experience

It did not take me long to get hooked on this mascara. I can safely say that I Love this mascara. Unless you are looking for a falsies look or if you are a big crier or live in Seattle, I highly recommend it. It has a nice natural look when worn and you can apply coat after coat without your lashes getting clumpy and flaky. It goes on light and separates lashes nicely without a need for a lash comb. The mascara itself feels very nourishing on the lashes. It is great if you wear contacts or just have sensitive skin or eyes. I accidentally poked my eye with it and it barely burned. It has a nice, natural scent to it that I no longer noticed after using it a few times. One of the biggest troubles that I have with it, however, is that it is not waterproof and I am a very sensitive soul. Although I wear my heart on my sleeve I don't want to be wearing mascara tears all the time. It also has a tendency to smudge underneath my eyes if I put it on directly after my moisturizer in the morning. Using too much eye cream, moisturizer or oil can lead to smeared mascara so wait until it dissolves into your skin before applying the mascara. I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that Lavera comes out with a waterproof mascara soon. Luckily if I do shed a tear, or two or ten it wipes off my face easily with a little bit of water.

You can purchase Lavera products at several department stores and if you go to the Lavera store locator and type in your zip code you can find a store near you that carries it. You can also order online directly from Lavera or from another retailer. If you order directly from Lavera you can choose up to three samples to be shipped with your order. You can request up to three samples without purchasing, although standard shipping rates do apply. I was curious about the standard shipping rates so I went through the process of ordering three samples to see how much I would be charged all together. Of course the samples were free, but the price to ship them was $7.50. Any orders below $50 are charged $7.50. If you spend $50.00 however, standard shipping is free within the United States. If you live in Canada there is free UPS Ground shipping on orders over $75 and orders below $75 are charged $15 for standard shipping. I like the idea of getting product samples with every purchase and find it best to order directly from Lavera, unless of course I do not have time to wait for them to arrive in the mail.

Closing

Overall, Lavera did a great job in creating an organic, natural mascara that easily surpasses the commercial brands.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your good review!! I will buy this mascara :-) for me no longer parabens on my lashes ;-)
    Have a nice day,
    Greetings from Chiara, The Netherlands

    ReplyDelete